Al Batinah South Governorate consists of six wilayats: Rustaq, Al Awabi, Nakhal, Wadi Al Maawil, Barka, Al Musanna, and the center of the governorate is Rustaq. The population of the governorate is (289,008) according to the general census of population, housing and establishments for the year 2010 AD, and (440,591) people according to the statistics of the National Center for Statistics and Information for the month of September 2019 AD.
The Governorate of South Al Batinah extends between the Sea of Oman to the east and the foothills of the Western Hajar Mountains to the west, and by virtue of its location, economic potential and population density, it played an influential role throughout Omani history.
While many achievements have been made in the field of services, roads, communications and urban planning in a manner that is in line with the development of economic and social life in the Sultanate, attention has also been paid to the beautification and planning of cities and the development of tourist sites in them, including natural springs such as Ain (Kasfah) in the Wilayat of Rustaq and Ain (Al Thawara). in the Wilayat of Nakhal, and they are among the most famous springs of hot mineral waters in the Sultanate, in addition to large public parks The number of elected members of the Municipal Council of South Al Batinah Governorate is 22, representing the various wilayats of the governorate.
castles and forts
Rustaq Fort is located at the foot of the Green Mountain on the edge of the Batinah Plain in Rustaq Wilayat in the Al Batinah South Governorate. The castle was first built on Persian ruins around 1250 AD, but the current majestic building was rebuilt by the first Ya’rubi imams in the period from 1624-1649 AD, and it consists of two floors In addition to the ground floor, it contains residences, weapons stores, reception rooms, gates, a mosque, prisons, wells, and other facilities. Rustaq Fort has four towers that were built in the years 1477 AD and 1906 AD.
The first is the Red Tower, with a height of more than 16 meters and a diameter of nine and a half meters. Secondly: the Tower of the Wind, built by Imam Saif bin Sultan al-Ya’rubi, and my father’s tomb is located in the western corner of the castle. The “Tower of the Winds” is 12 meters high and 12 meters in diameter, and its wall is surrounded by a hundred aesthetically pleasing triangles. And the third: the Devils Tower, and it was also built by Imam Saif bin Sultan Al-Ya’rubi, who was nicknamed “The Land Restraint.” The height of the tower is 18 and a half meters, and its diameter is approximately six meters. And the fourth: the modern tower, built during the era of Imam Ahmed bin Saeed, and its height is 11 and a half meters, and it has eighty cosmetic triangles.
Rustaq Fort has ten cannons. Four of them are in the modern tower, three are in the wind tower, and the other three are at the bottom of the castle. There are also four mornings – gates – which are: Sabah Al-Ya’ariba – Al-Alal – Al-Wusta – Sabah Al-Sarha Castle area: 60 meters long – 45 meters wide – total area: 2700 square meters.
Al-Hazm Fort It is located in the Wilayat of Rustaq in the Governorate of South Al Batinah. It has a military stronghold that is considered one of the traditional Omani defensive features, such as the huge wooden gate, secret escape tunnels, dungeons, cannon towers and openings on the upper floors, and there are drops above the main entrance to pour oil or boiling date honey on the rushing attackers.
It is also considered one of the most amazing masterpieces of Omani Islamic architecture. It was built by Imam Sultan bin Saif bin Sultan Al-Ya’rubi in the year (1711 AD), and he is the son of the imam, who was nicknamed “Under the Land.” The fort is distinguished by its devoid of wooden bishops, but it is interconnected with fixed round contracts in the form of cylinders, and the wall is three meters wide. At the top of the fort, in addition to the secret passages, each of which is two meters wide and two meters high, and they are passages that spread in the four sides of the fort to then exit to the city. There are also a number of rooms in Al-Hazm Fort that were used to teach the Holy Qur’an, sciences and religious knowledge, and the fort penetrates Falaj Al-Hazm is for the use of the residents and visitors of the fort. The total area of the fort is 1600 square meters.
Nakhal Fort It is the most prominent archaeological monument of the Wilayat of Nakhl in the Governorate of South Al Batinah, and is located on a mountainous hill that reaches a height of 200 feet in the foothills of the Western Hajar Mountains, and dates back to the 17th century. A bridge with two curves passes below it, and it is a strong building with a huge structure. It includes a number of zodiacs, the three most famous of which are the eastern, western and middle. Inside it are two wells of water.
He restored it and made improvements to it, Imam Salt bin Malik Al Kharousi in the year (170 AH), then the Banu Nabhan added some touches and renovations In the year (200 AH) and in the year 1000 of the honorable Prophet’s migration, the state of Al-Ya’ariba renovated the building of the castle and made some additions to it, and in the year (1250 AH) it was renewed by Sultan Saeed bin Sultan who built the wall and the door standing in the middle and during the reign of His Majesty Sultan Qaboos the Great it was completely restored In the year (1990 AD) (1411 AH).
Barka Fort is one of the main landmarks on the Al Batinah coast. It is located in the state of Barka, a few hundred meters from the shore of the Sea of Oman. It is a rectangular building that includes huge corner towers. It has another polygonal tower on the northern side. It appears to have been added at a later time and at the back of the fort there.
Two restored watch towers that once formed part of the city’s defensive wall. The oldest parts of it that were built in (1120 AH – 1708 AD) date back to the era of Imam Saif bin Sultan Al-Ya’rubi, and Sayyid Hamad bin Saeed bin Ahmed Al-Busaidi made additions and extensions to it, and the fort is built of stones, mud and plaster, and the Ministry of Heritage and Culture has restored it In 1985 AD and its maintenance in 1990 AD.
Al-Numan House It is located in the Wilayat of Barka in the Governorate of South Al Batinah. It was built by Imam Saif bin Sultan Al Ya’rubi “under the land” between 1692 AD – 1711 AD, and thirty thousand palm trees and hookah trees were planted around it – as its construction is considered one of the many achievements of the political and economic renaissance that Oman witnessed during the period The imams of the Ya’ariba, which is a square-shaped building consisting of two floors and includes circular towers in each corner and one of these towers consists of three floors.
Imam Ahmed bin Saeed Al-Busaidi took Al-Nu’man’s house as a resting place for him during his travels. The Ministry of Heritage and Culture restored Al-Nu’man’s house in 1411 AH / 1990 CE.
Bait Al-Fulaij Fort
Bait Al-Fulaij Fort: Al-Falij House is a fortified residence located in the inner side of Barka. It was built by the ruler, Sayyid Sultan bin Ahmed, to accommodate his wife. He built it shortly after the year 1224 AH / 1799 AD and made it his main headquarters during the last years of his life, as he died in the year 1229 AH / 1804 AD and was Former sultans sometimes used it as a rustic hunting lodge. Its foundations are made of hard limestone, not sand. This house is a rectangular building with a height of about 6.5 meters and includes two circular cannon towers built with stones and coated with plaster. High-end international art and art shows are held in it, and it contains a main booth and a theater that can accommodate more than 500 spectators.